Prepare the Syrup:
1. Combine ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and syrupy, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and keep warm.
Prepare the Waffles:
1. Spray a waffle iron with cooking spray and preheat.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the dry ingredients with a whisk until well blended. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, olive oil and milk, beating with wire whisk until well combined. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the egg mixture. Whisk until blended. Stir in the orange rind and pecans.
4. Bake waffle batter in preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions. Serve waffles with the warm syrup.